Oh, to be lounging in the sun drinking cocktails. For long summer days, a wine spritzer is pretty much the perfect drink. It’s light and refreshing, and crucially, it’s low-alcohol. That makes it ideal for drawn out afternoon picnics or barbecues where the laid back atmosphere might call for more than one drink. At its core, a wine spritzer is just wine and seltzer, and even this simple version is delicious. Of course, there are countless more elaborate variations to try, including the trendy Italian aperitivo, the Aperol spritz. Our version incorporates summer berries for a light floral sweetness. The optional liquor brings in additional complexity and depth.
- 1 bottle of BA white wine (500ml)
- 4 oz. strawberries, sliced
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 500 ml seltzer water
- 4 oz liquor, (optional) Options include: sweet or dry vermouth, Campari, Aperol, Kirsch, Lillet, Maraschino Liqueur, or Triple Sec
- Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher.
- If desired, add your 4 oz liquor for additional herbal flavor and complexity.
- When ready to serve, pour mixture over glasses of ice. Fill half-way and finish by topping with seltzer water.
Ready to try making a spritzer at home? Order a summer sampler of Blue Apron white wine.