These beautiful homemade apple turnovers have all the flavor of an apple pie packed into a tiny package. They’re the perfect size for individual portions. These turnovers are best served fresh. If you try them straight out of the fryer (but cool enough to touch) they’ll be hot, crispy, spiced, and sweet. Learn how to make Edouardo Jordan’s recipe for apple turnovers from scratch.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp Water
- In a small container add the shortening, water and salt. Microwave or heat in a small pot until the shortening melts and the mixture is homogenized.
- Combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a food processor or large bowl. With the food processor running, drizzle in the warm shortening water mixture. The dough should come together and form a ball.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and place it on a floured work surface. Work the dough by kneading and turning until smooth. Split the dough in half and cover it with a clean dish towel. Allow to rest for one hour.
- 3.5 lbs apples, peeled and medium diced
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsps sugar
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsps butter
- Combine the diced apples with the sugars, spices and salt in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for two hours.
- After two hours, the apples should have released some liquid. In a large pot, combine the apples with all remaining ingredients except for the cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Make a slurry with cornstarch and a few tablespoons of water. Whisk this into the apple mixture. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat, stir in the butter, and allow the mixture to cool. Use immediately for turnovers or freeze.
Form the turnovers
- After the dough has rested, roll it into a ⅛” inch-thick sheet. Use a 4 inch ring cutter or small bowl to punch circles out of the dough.
- Fill circles with 2-3TB cooled apple filling. Fold the dough in half over the top of the filling and crimp the edges. Chill the formed pies for an hour.
- Working in small batches, deep fry the pies in neutral oil at 350°F until golden brown.