A Summery Snap Pea Salad from the Chef of Loring Place
Blue Apron is teaming up with chefs across the country to support Feeding America®. To participate, head over to our social media channels. Share our Facebook post or tag a friend on Instagram, and Blue Apron will donate an additional $5 to Feeding America, up to $50,000. Thanks to Dan Kluger, the chef and owner of Loring Place, for sharing this fresh summery salad from his upcoming cookbook Chasing Flavor.
While working for Jean-Georges at ABC Kitchen, chef Dan Kluger grew to love combining raw and cooked versions of the same ingredient in a dish. This method results in a beautiful contrast of textures and flavors. Here, this idea is applied to snap peas—half are quickly blanched, and the rest are charred in a skillet. Both halves are tossed in a cheesy vinaigrette that evokes a more sophisticated version of the peppery bottled salad dressings you may have loved growing up.
Chef Kluger’s dressing is made creamy by pureeing Manchego cheese in a blender until it completely breaks down and emulsifies. This will take longer than you think, so keep blending until the dressing is completely smooth.
Charred Sugar Snap Pea Salad with Manchego Vinaigrette
1. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath.
2. Blanch 2 cups of the snap peas in the boiling water until bright green and crisp-tender, 30 to 45 seconds, then transfer to the ice bath. When cool, transfer the peas to paper towels to drain.
3. Heat a skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat.
4. In a mixing bowl, toss the remaining 2 cups of snap peas with the oil and salt. When the skillet is very hot, add the salted and oiled peas and char them on one side without moving them around, 30 to 45 seconds. Work in batches so that you do not crowd the pan.
5. Turn the peas over and char the other side, then transfer to a plate and let cool to room temperature before assembling the salad.
Blanched and charred snap peas
4 globe radishes, cut into small wedges
¼ cup finely chopped mixed herbs (such as parsley, tarragon, and chives)
Flaky sea salt
2 cups baby lettuce (such as arugula or romaine)
½ cup coarsely grated Manchego cheese
½ red finger chili, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the blanched and charred snap peas with the radishes, half of the herbs, and a big pinch of flaky salt; toss to combine.
2. Divide the lettuce among four plates and top with the snap pea mixture.
3. Drizzle with the dressing (about 2 Tbsps per plate). Garnish with the cheese, sliced chili, and remaining herbs. Grind some pepper over each salad and serve.