Ginger spice cookies
Prep time: 90 minutes, including chilling and baking
Yield: 24 Cookies
Recipe developed by Lauren Katz
Chewy, warm, and spicy: this ginger spice cookie recipe has everything you could possibly want in a holiday treat. Make a batch today and they’ll be the star of your cookie plate this year. This scene-stealing recipe won the Holiday Cookie Bakeoff over on our Instagram.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tbsps granulated sugar, for rolling
1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Add the crystallized ginger and mix to thoroughly combine.
2. In a large bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer), combine the brown sugar, shortening, and butter. Beat on medium-high for 3 to 4 minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses. Beat 2 to 3 minutes, or until thoroughly combined. Turn off the mixer and add the flour mixture. Using a spatula, gently mix the ingredients until just combined and no white streaks remain. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper or foil. Place the granulated sugar in a small bowl.
4. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the chilled dough into your hands; roll into a ball. Place the ball in the bowl of sugar and turn to completely coat. Transfer to the sheet pan and slightly flatten with your fingers, so the cookie is about 3/4 inch in height. Repeat with the remaining dough and sugar, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake the cookies, switching the sheet pans halfway through, 10 to 12 minutes, or until cracked on top but still soft to the touch. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Enjoy!