Gin and ginger ale combine forces to make this spicy, refreshing gin punch.
This gingery punch will be beloved by all—even those who claim to not like gin-based drinks! The angostura bitters turn this punch a gorgeous shade of blush and the massive ice cube, shaped by a bundt pan, cools the festive drink without making it watery.
The ingredient list is simple. You’ll need limes, ginger root, and ginger ale. The ginger root gets minced into pieces and made into a sweet, spicy syrup that gives this cocktail a special kick.
Ginger ale blends all the flavors together and adds pizzazz with some bubbles. To garnish, try frozen lime slices. Freezing them before helps the slices maintain their shape in the punch. Once everything is all mixed in together, the punch is ready and your work is done.
Read on for the full recipe
Gin & Ginger Punch Recipe
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 inch piece of ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 750 ml bottle of gin
- 2 liters of ginger ale
- 15 or so dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 2 limes
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT
- 1 bundt pan
- 1 punch bowl
- 1 punch ladle
1. If you’re planing to serve this in a punch bowl, start the enormous ice cube the and frozen lime slices the night before. Fill a bundt pan with water and freeze overnight. Thinly slice the lime and lay out in a single layer on a cookie sheet to freeze overnight.
2. Roughly chop the ginger (no need to peel, just rinse it) to yield 1/2 cup. If you have a food processor, that will make this step much quicker.
3. Make the ginger syrup: In a small saucepan combine the sugar, chopped ginger and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Let the water simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture cool to room temperature then strain out and discard the ginger.
4. Unmold the ice: Once you are ready to serve the punch, remove the bundt pan from the freezer and quickly run the bottom under hot water to loosen the ice. Transfer the large bundt-sized ice cube to a large punch bowl.
5. Mix the punch: in the same large punch bowl add the ginger syrup, gin, ginger ale, lime juice and angustora bitters. Stir to combine.
6. Garnish the punch by finishing it off with the frozen lime slices. Enjoy!
Find even more cocktail ideas here