Hearty almonds add a satisfying texture to this light and summery Meyer lemon tart. We use Treehouse almonds for a nut that’s as sustainable as it is delicious. If you’re searching for your next potluck dessert, look no further. Chef Alex Saggiomo designed this recipe for anyone with a sweet tooth.
For the Almond Crust:
- ½ C whole almonds
- 1 C flour
- ⅓ C powdered sugar
- ½ C (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp cold water
For the Filling:
- 7 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tbsps grated fresh Meyer lemon zest (from 4 to 5 lemons)
- ⅔ C fresh Meyer lemon juice (from 4 to 5 lemons)
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 4 Tbsps (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 Tbsps heavy cream, chilled
- Toasted almond slices, for garnish
1. To prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 375°F. Place almonds in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add flour and powdered sugar, pulse until combined.
2. Add the butter into the flour mixture and pulse until just combined; drizzle in water and pulse a few more times until the dough comes together. Remove dough from the food processor.
3. Place the dough into a 9-inch-round tart pan with removable bottom. Firmly press dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Gently prick the dough with a fork to prevent from puffing up too much during baking.
4. Bake for 13 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
5. To Prepare the Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt until combined. Add the butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
6. Pour the filling mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and into a heat-proof bowl; then stir in the heavy cream.
7. To Assemble: Pour the filling into the tart shell. Return the filled tart back to the oven and bake until the filling is in the center jiggles slightly when shaken, about 13 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely to room temperature, then, refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with the toasted almond slices. Enjoy!