Just because we must grow up, that doesn’t mean we have to put childish things away. These peanut butter and jelly bars have all the flavors of a childhood snack baked into a sophisticated dessert. If you’re craving the nostalgic comfort of a classic flavor combination, these are the treat for you. Feel free to put your own twist on the recipe by swapping in your favorite flavor of jam or jelly (Chef Alex thinks peach would be delicious).
Sweet and Salty Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
Recipe by Chef Alex Saggiomo
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
1½ cups light brown sugar
¾ cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons strawberry jam
1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
Flaky sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, and 1 tsp. kosher salt. Set aside.
3. Combine the 2 large eggs, 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, ¾ cup smooth peanut butter, ½ cup melted unsalted butter, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract in a large bowl. Whisk together.
4. Using a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until no streaks of flour remain.
5. Scrape the batter into a buttered 8×8″ baking pan. Dollop with 2 Tbsp. strawberry jam; using the tip of a knife, swirl the jam on the surface of the batter. Top with 1 Tbsp. chopped peanuts.
6. Bake 30-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, let cool for at least 20 minutes, and enjoy.