We love when our littlest sous chefs want to help out in the kitchen. Every dinner can be an opportunity to start teaching kids to cook, and to help them build skills that will last a lifetime. Of course, the kitchen can also be a dangerous place. If you’re wondering when to introduce a new kitchen skill to your kid, check out our guide to appropriate kitchen tasks for kids at every age.
How to cook with kids age 5-9
- Rinse fruits and vegetables, by hand or in a colander
- Tear lettuce or other greens for salads
- Stir with a wooden spoon or whisk
How to cook with kids age 10-14
- Make a salad dressing with a whisk
- Crack eggs
- Stretch dough by hand or with a rolling pin
How to cook with kids age 14-18
- Use zesters, graters, or peelers
- Read and follow recipes
- Use tongs to flip meat or veggies on a pan or grill
- Basic knife skills, based on your comfort level
One job is good for kids of every age
Cleaning up! It’s never too early for everyone to help out wiping counters, rising bowls, and taking linens to the wash. The whole family is in it together.
Try teaching kids to cook with a dish they’ll love. Here’s a step-by-step guide to how kids of any age could help prepare our Honey Mustard Baked Chicken with Smoky Sour Cream Smashed Potatoes & Collard Greens. Blue Apron designed this nutritious, family-friendly meal to celebrate Disney and Pixar’s new film, Soul, streaming on Disney+ starting December 25th.
In step 1:
- Kids ages 5-9 can help knead the honey, and mix the honey and mustard together.
- Kids age 10-14 can help wash and dry the produce, separate the collard greens from the stems, and peel the shallot and grate the apple.
- Kids ages 14-18 can help large dice the potatoes and slice the shallot.
In step 2:
- Kids of all ages can help smash the potatoes.
In step 3:
- Kids ages 14-18 can help season the chicken with the spice blend and use tongs to flip it in the pan.
In step 4:
- Kids ages 10-18 can help stir the collards in the pan, and can taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
For more family dinner ideas, check out our collection of family-friendly recipes.