Make vegan ice cream at home without an ice cream maker. This no-churn dairy-free ice cream gets its creamy texture from one of our favorite ingredients: tahini.
Soom was founded by three sisters with the mission to share the childhood flavors that they loved with the world. As they grew up, they realized the tahini available in American grocery stores paled in comparison to the selection abroad. They decided to take matters into their own hands, and Soom was born. Today, Soom supplies all of the tahini for Blue Apron meal kids.
Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds. Sesame seeds are filled with protein and have a naturally rich flavor. A tablespoon of Soom tahini has 6 grams of protein, all from plants.
Creamy, luscious sesame seed tahini makes a perfect base for vegan ice cream. This recipe combines tahini with coconut milk for body and swirls of sweet date syrup. It tastes a bit like traditional butter pecan ice cream, but it’s 100% vegan. Top off your bowl with pecans or chocolate chips (or both!) for an added crunch.
No-churn vegan ice cream with tahini and date syrup
- 2 14 oz. cans coconut cream (if you can’t find it, you can sub full-fat coconut milk for a less creamy result)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Soom Premium Tahini
- 4 Tbsp Soom Silan Date Syrup, divided
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour (can sub cornstarch)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp salt
- Chopped toasted pecans and/or chocolate chips for serving, optional
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut cream, sugar, tahini, 2 tablespoons of the silan date syrup, tapioca flour, vanilla, and salt. Whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, whisking frequently as the mixture comes together. Once boiling, reduce heat slightly and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, and pour in the cooled ice cream mixture. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Freeze for 3-4 hours, or until the ice cream is semi-frozen, enough to still be able to stir it around to swirl in the remaining silan date syrup. Remove from the freezer and drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons silan date syrup over the ice cream. Using a knife, swirl the silan date syrup into the ice cream.
- Press the piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface and let freeze for an additional 4-6 hours, or overnight. Once ready to eat, remove from the freezer 30 minutes or so before you want to consume, so that it’s easier to scoop. Garnish with chopped pecans and chocolate chips, if desired. Serve.
Find more dessert inspiration here.