Get inspired by Molly and add a little extra cheer to your dessert with homemade sprinkles. No baking and no chopping means that this recipe is a safe project for the whole family.
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsps Meringue Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
choice of Food Coloring
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the powdered sugar, meringue powder and vanilla extract. Add 1½ tablespoons of water and stir to combine. If necessary, add water 1 teaspoon at a time until the mixture has the consistency of glue or tooth paste (thick but still pipeable).
- Add the food coloring and stir to combine. To make multiple colors, divide the icing mixture into separate bowls before adding coloring. Transfer the colored icing to a piping bag fitted with a small round tip, or a plastic sandwich bag with a tiny hole cut off the corner. Pupe the mixture onto the parchment paper in long rows.
- Let stand uncovered at room temperature for at least 4 hours until dry. The thicker that you pipe the lines, the longer it will take to dry. These can sit out at room temperature overnight if necessary to completely dry.
- Once the lines of icing are dry, break them into pieces of a desired size. Sprinkles will keep on the counter in a sealed container for up to 3 days. if you prefer, you can use natural dyes instead of food coloring, but the colors will be less vibrant. Enjoy!
Now that you’ve made your homemade sprinkles, keep cooking with Molly with our Molly Yeh x Blue Apron collaboration box, featuring Ginger-Scallion Burgers, Peanut Noodles, Crunchy Cabbage Slaw, and Miso Apple Pie, available to order now through the week of 6/19.