Winter may be cold, but at least it’s cozy. These dark months offer up unlimited opportunities to pile on the blankets, grab a book, and fill up a mug with your favorite hot drink. This year we’ll be sipping on this mulled wine that we’re cooking up with this easy mulled wine recipe.
This warming drink is spiked with spices and simmered until it’s deliciously fragrant. If you’re concerned about any alcohol boiling off, follow Chef Tim Kemp’s advice and add in some brandy while your beverage is brewing. Once you finish off the pot, try making a hot toddy for the next round.
If you’re looking for the best wines for mulled wine, we’ve got you covered. Our mulled wine favorites package is full of perfect reds.
Easy Mulled Wine Recipe
Serves: 2-3, Cook time: 20 min
- 1 (500ml) bottle of any of red Blue Apron wine
- 1 orange
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 (2-inch) piece of unpeeled ginger
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup of brandy (optional)
1. Slice the orange into four sections, and stud each slice with two cloves. Just press the whole clove into the white of the orange.
2. Cut the ginger into 4 slices.
3. In a small pot, combine one bottle of BA wine, the sliced ginger, the studded orange slices, two cinnamon sticks, ¼ cup maple syrup, and a pinch of salt. If you want a little extra oomph, add in the ½ cup of brandy.
4. Heat on medium heat to bubbling, then turn down to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Divide the warm wine into mugs (discarding the used orange, ginger, and cloves). Cozy up and enjoy!